Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Question

Last night when I was putting the boys to bed, Satchel asked me, "Why did you name me Satchel?"

This seemed like a loaded question, so I tried to come up with an appropriate response. "Well, Popo died before you were born and we wanted to give you his initials as a way to remember him." I didn't dare mention the words "Jewish" or "Tradition" at 9:30pm for fear I would be up until midnight answering even more questions.

Even though it was dark, I could see that he wasn't satisfied with my answer. "You and Popo have the same letters in your name. His name started with S and so does yours."

"But why Satchel?" he persisted.

"Daddy always liked the name Satchel and so we gave it to you," I said. (And no, it had nothing to do with Satchel Paige. He just liked it, simple as that. Me too.)

"I want a new name," he said.

"Okay," I agreed. "What do you want your new name to be?" (I was waiting for him to say "Evan" since his best friend at school is Evan. He came home that day with a drawing that said, "I am special because ____." The teacher filled in his response, "Because I am friends with Evan.")

"Hot Dragon," he said.

I certainly wasn't expecting that. "Hot Dragon, huh?" I said. "I like it." It's certainly a hell of a lot more original than Satchel.

Pleased, he snuggled up to me, and I kissed him on the head. "Good night Hot Dragon."

"Good night Mommy."

When I dropped him off at school this morning I said, "See ya later Hot Dragon."

He smiled, happy that I remembered, then said, "Shhh! The kids can call me Satchel, it's just the adults who call me Hot Dragon."

Of course.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

he rocks!

max named himself maxo for a while.

Anonymous said...

M's name this week is "Princess Kinger." Because one royal moniker isn't enough.

Anonymous said...

Four year olds loooove to do the renaming thing. Ben is Robin/Beast Boy of late. I remember Jake being Carlos for the longest time. I can't wait to see who Nate will be!

Stephanie said...

Connor has renamed himself Connor Bo Bonnor (and his siter Chloe Bo Boey). He refuses to accept his given middle and last name. I can't wait until he is four and starts coming up with stuff more creative that that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...