Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Roller Boogie Contest is On

A couple of weeks ago, Warren called from Missouri to inform me that A&E had a new show on called Rollergirls about the Texas roller derby. I turned on the TV and couldn't belive my eyes. Cool rocker types (and mamas!) were tearing it up on the roller rink. I love to skate and I loved playing competitive team sports (i.e. soccer) as a girl. My feet started to tingle and I prayed that my mom hadn't sold my old speed skates in one of her many garage sales.

I spent the next several days wondering how I could get a roller derby going in Memphis. I wasn't sure if I could wear the short little skirts or be cool enough really, but I loved the idea of getting back on the rink. Warren, Mr. Smartypants, said, "Why don't we take the boys skating this weekend?"


"I know just the place," I said. "Skateland on Summer Avenue." I spent many weekends being a bad girl at East End Skating Center, so Skateland would be a clean palate on which to create wholesome family memories. Besides, I have a soft spot for the funky places along Summer Avenue.

"Is that place even open?" he asked.

"We better do a driveby," I said.

Turns out Skateland was the perfect place to take an almost two-year-old and an almost four-year-old skating. We practically had the place to ourselves. The people who were there, were either parents or small children.


Luckily my six-year-old niece and almost ten-year-old nephew wanted to go too, so my mom came along for our first skating adventure. (I think she was a little apprehensive about venturing down Summer Avenue, when there are such nice, clean skating rinks in the suburbs, but she too was thrilled by the lack of a crowd.)

Having an extra pair of hands was most appreciated since Jiro refused to skate and Satchel needed both Warren and I to spot him.



Eventually, Jiro busied himself with treats from the concession stand and Satchel gained enough confidence to fly solo. It seemed like the less he thought about what he was doing, the better he did.


Warren and I took turns taking off by ourselves. Even though I was wearing yucky rental skates (something I would have been mortified by in the eighties), I had a blast. Roller skating, it seems, is like riding a bike. It wasn't long before I felt like the girl who used to win all of the races.

On our second visit to Skateland, things went even better. Jiro, who had actually taken a good nap prior to our visit, couldn't wait to put on his skates. In no time, he was tearing up the place, pushing our hands away.



Satchel needed to get his confidence back up, but had advanced quite a bit from the week before.


The boys did so great, Warren and I got to skate in 10-20 minute intervals. That's when I realized how terribly out of shape I am. The roller derby will have to wait for now, but I plan on taking Skateland by storm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm up for roller derby once #4 pops out.

For your Summer Avenue loving, artistic viewing pleasure:

http://www.elizabethalley.com/p_all_skate.html

http://www.elizabethalley.com/ph_on_the_square.html

Lone Star Ma said...

Well, I think you should use your interviewing/urban anthropologist skills to write and article about those Texas roller derby mamas for Lone Star Ma!!!!

Stephanie said...

Your kids are just too cute. We need pictures more often!

You need to splurge on a pair of speed skates! What a great way to get in shape.

Stephanie said...

You need to know that they are having meetings to start up a roller derby league in Memphis. My friend Heather is seriously looking into doing it! I thought of you immediately when she told me about it this weekend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...