Friday, May 05, 2006

Me, at age 12

My good friend, Hope, is in town for Music Fest. She came over for dinner tonight on her way downtown and presented me with a stack of notes and letters that I had sent her in the sixth grade. While I did the dishes, she read them out loud and had us all in tears. (Well not Satchel and Jiro--they were busy running in circles.)

I really wish I had a scanner so that I could share them with you in their purest form, but I don't, so I present you a transcription. Imagine worn notebook paper, green magic marker, and "DDF, AAF, VHF, CCF" decorating the margins. (That's Duran Duran Forever, Adam Ant Forever, Van Halen Forever, Culture Club Forever in case you didn't know.)

John [as in John Taylor of Duran Duran],

Your note was interesting! Do you like this color? I'd thought I'd get in the mood for the occasion. We're about to watch a film about Ceasar's assassination! Fun. I saw it about 5 times last year. Wendy's new nickname is Earthmicks. [Is this a Eurythmics reference?] Original, isn't it? I thought so. Tell Tiffany I love her shirt! She gets everything! Jimmy [who is Jimmy!]is getting sick on purpose so he won't have to fight Jason [who is Jason!]. I don't want them to fight because Jimmy might get beat up. Kim gave me one of the cheapest notes I've ever gotten! It was about 5 lines long. Exciting! Think of some songs we can sing while we swing. Julie [who is Julie!] can't come to your party next wek because she is spending the night at her church. What do you think about Taco Bell tomorrow after [soccer] practice? I say we go for it! Mrs. Craig's class is watching this film with us and she is eyeing me so I better go. I'll write again during math. Culture Club Crazy, George.

P.S. over

P.S. John, Mrs. Craig is making us sing McNamara's Band! Boring!

P.P.S. New pen, new note, new film. We're watching the one you saw this morning about the tornados!! Fun fun fun! Guess what! New gossip fresh off the grill! Wendy is going to ask Ivan [I remember Ivan!] what he would do if a girl asked him to go with her. If he says, "I don't know," Wendy is going to ask him to go with her! Mrs. Greer just went off on us bigtime! In the film it shows all these cows roaming the farm and Mrs. Greer said that's what we call a straight line! Here goes a Boy George, Duran Duran spazum! Hold on here it somes I (HEART) DURAN DURAN AND BOY! Almost ran out of room there! And here comes the tornado! Oh me! Oh my! That was to [sic] much excitement for one day. I better goooooooooooooooo before the tornado gets me! Culture Club Crazy, George.

S.S.M. (Sorry so messy as you would say)


Oh my god, was I cool or what? I used to write notes incessantly during school. Turns out it was great practice for blogging during work!

1 comment:

Gaijin Mama said...

Wow. You were so progressive. I was into a lot of those same bands, but not till I was about 16.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...