Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Candy Man

Today is Jiro's fourth birthday! He decided he wanted to take lollipops to school again this year. I told him I would stop by the "giant candy warehouse" by my office and get him a big box to pass out.

His response?

"I want to come with you."

Since Wayne's has funky hours (Monday through Friday - 6:00am-3:45pm; Saturday 6:00am-9:45am) I ended up taking him--and Satchel--on the "way" to school this morning.

Naively I was looking forward to experiencing a giant candy warehouse with my darling children. I imagined it would be a bit like a scene from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. (Of course I imagined my darlings as delightful versions of Charlie, not the likes of Augustus Gloop or Mike Teevee!)

Actually, Jiro was quite agreeable. Even a bit Charlie-esque. But he was the one authorized to purchase a giant box of Ring Pops.


Satchel was outraged at the injustice of being taken to the giant candy warehouse without being allowed to purchase something. Anything!



Suddenly my great idea seemed a little insane. I wandered over to the candy cigarettes, ran my hand over the packaging, and tried to think of a use for them. (Certainly not suitable for Montessori celebrations or a slumber party, but what about our weekly Cocktail Hour?)

Unfortunately the monkeys had not found a way to settle their differences during my reverie. Not wanting to ruin Jiro's birthday, or cause a heinous scene, I offered to get one more "treat" for the boys' upcoming slumber party.

After examining every variety of gum in the store and being completely unable to reach an agreement (apparently age 4 is when you stop deferring to your big brother), I let them each get a box of gum for their respective slumberers. (The real irony is that when allowed to choose separately they picked almost the same exact thing.)


I took the kids to school, informed the director that I would be bringing "lollipops with real sugar" at 3:15pm, and went about my day.

By 3:30pm we were all smiles.


Jiro, who was so shy while walking around the sun and getting sung to, had no problem being the center of attention when he was The Candy Man.


Happy Birthday my sweet!

4 comments:

Chip said...

Happy Birthday Jiro!

Stephanie said...

Happy birthday Jiro! I'll bring him something Friday night. As long as there are no candy cigarettes.

Shannon said...

happy birthday, jiro!

(p.s. i was a bit sad to learn that at MMS earth around the sun ends when they enter elementary. but a cool time line of their life--that they build on each year--begins. i am anxious to see that this friday for max.)

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday!!!

We're having cocktail hour at Wayne's, right?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...