Friday, August 29, 2008

Pets

In the car on the way to dinner Satchel said, "Do you know what pet I really really want most in the whole world?" (Our hermit crab that was molting never could decide on a new shell and died. Thus leaving a whole in Team Oster's "pet world.")

"What?" I asked expecting his usual "Lizard" response.

"A Rhinocerous Beetle or a lizard," he said.

"I want a baby lion pet," Jiro interrupted.

"A baby lion?" I clarified.

"Yes," he said. (They watched the Lion King this week.)

"You already have a baby lion pet," I said. "Her name is Olive."

Olive is our cat. Look at how scary she is!



Back to the Rhinocerous Beetle.

"Why do you want a Rhinocerous Beetle?" I asked.

"Because they are cool and they have those big horns on their heads," he said.

After researching the RB a bit it seems like a very nice bug. Not so sure about a pet bug, but a nice one. Here's a short video in which you can see it mate and, I kid you not, walk on a tiny little treadmill with a giant piece of metal on its back.



Maybe we can adopt an abused test beetle from Berkeley.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right now I have on my kids' kitchen table 8 of the fattest, most disgusting tomato hornworms you will ever see all jammed into Maya's bug habitat about to go Manson on each other. Sadie wants to keep them as pets because they are caterpillars. Maya is going along for the ride and is calling them her "yucky pets." I really don't care what those bastards hornworms do as long as they do it off my tomatoes. It looks like a bomb went off out in the garden.

I do highly recommend buying a praying mantis egg sack in the early summer and watching that hatch. I haven't seen any of the maybe 300 that hatched in our habitat in July, but they were really, really cool.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...