Friday, February 06, 2009

3-D

We went to see Coraline in 3-D tonight. It was awesome. (And probably too scary for all of the children of my core readership!)

Did you know that when you see a 3-D movie it costs $1.50 extra? Apparently the 3-D glasses, which are worth $50 each I'm told, must be cleaned in a special machine and they need extra personnel to issue them and take them back at the end. I was expecting something way less fancy. Maybe not the paper glasses of old with one red lense and one blue, but the green plastic variety that was standard issue a few years ago when the Night Before Christmas was re-released.

When Jiro put his glasses on he exclaimed, "This makes everything look like real life!"

After 100 minutes, I had a headache and just felt old. Twice my brain attempted to go to sleep to compensate for the visual gymnastics I was asking it to do!

But yes, we loved the movie. It has a great "appreciate your parents" message that I plan to milk in the future. (Today, while paying my utility bill, the woman next to me convinced her 2 year old to let her hold her by telling her that there was a dog somewhere in the lobby. I can only assume that the little girl feared dogs. She curiously looked for the dog and said in a whispery voice, "Where's the doggy?" Had she freaked, I wouldn't have found this tactic's effectiveness to be so inspiring.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

was it scarier than the nightmare before xmas?

Stacey Greenberg said...

yeah i think they can identify with the story line so it feels real. (i.e. parents who don't pay attention to them, they venture off and find a magical new world, but then it goes bad.)

the kids were both scared but not scarred.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...