Thursday, June 04, 2009

The Shell

For whatever reason, I only made it to the Shell once last year. I hope to remedy that this year. Tonight we went to see Hoots and Hellmouth, an awesome band from Philly that I first heard at the CPOP benefit last February. Check them out in their CPOP shirts representing! Ok, it is hard to tell in the picture, but they all had them on under their button downs (which they shed as the evening progressed).


I was worried we were going to miss most of the show since we didn't get there until 7:45, but they started playing just as we walked up. There was just a small crowd at first, but by the time we left at nine, it was much bigger. There were probably 10-15 other kids there. They all seemed to be having a great time chasing each other, rolling down the gentle hill, and exploring the area. The weather was perfect! Sure the ground was a bit wet, but there was a cool breeze and nary a skeeter. There were 3 food vendors (that I saw) and several people seemed to be sipping beers from home, some more subtly than others. (I hope this laissez-faire attitude holds.)

It was a really nice evening, almost like being at a Rock-n-Romp--with the added benefit of me not being in charge! The only thing keeping me from fully relaxing was the lack of foresight in sneaking in a beer and also having to keep an eye on the kids. (Note to self, don't dress them in black next time!) Satchel said someone told him to stop climbing trees and there were a few times that I felt like I was getting the death stare from my fellow concert goers, so it wasn't quite the same vibe as Rock-n-Romp. But no worries, Rock-n-Romp will be taking over the Shell July 11th! I can hardly wait.

But back to the Shell's line-up. Since most of the people are from out of town it is hard to know who the "don't miss" acts are, so if there's someone coming that you think I should see, let me know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

death stares be damned...if u can't take ur kids to levitt, then where? i was there tonight...great show, very kid-friendly, and i will definitely go back, with kid in tow or otherwise. (and really, you didn't think to bring beer???!!!) Love that they took out the stationary benches and replaced w/ lush turf...what a beautiful venue.

Courtney said...

We went last Thursday and hope to make it a regular thing. I will give evil death stares back at anyone who eyes my kids or anyone else's kids. The food vendors last week were the crepe place, yummy. A place selling jumbalya for $5 and one other place.

We brought in a bunch of our own food but still bought a crepe and we let the kids run free. Rolling down the hill is their favorite activity.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...