Thursday, January 28, 2010

Breakfast Brackets

My friend, Kerry, works for the Convention and Visitor's Bureau. She is the person behind the I Love Memphis blog. (You may have seen her on the cover of last week's Flyer.) Anyways, I first met her online, but since she is a derby girl, I had the pleasure of meeting her in person and have the continued pleasure of seeing her on a weekly basis. Therefore, I felt like inviting myself to to eat breakfast with her one morning was a completely acceptable thing to do!

Let me explain. A few weeks ago Kerry started the Breakfast Brackets on the I Love Memphis blog. She is going to "scientifically" decide once and for all who has the best breakfast in town using a sports bracket model. How awesome is that? I followed along as she ate 16 breakfasts consisting of eggs, bacon, pancakes, biscuits, and coffee. I was totally jealous that I didn't come up with the idea AND that she was getting paid to do it!

Of course I had to get in the action.

Kerry is currently in Round two, which is a free for all, meaning she can order whatever she wants. She ate at the Arcade on Tuesday and its challenger, Bryant's, today. That's where we met. (To see who won, click here.)

Kerry told me that after the 16 breakfasts in Round One she may never eat a piece of bacon again! This might also explain why her breakfast this morning was a bit strange--one potato pancake, one biscuit, orange juice and one blackberry cobbler! Pie for breakfast! "I'm an athlete," Kerry joked.

In case you were wondering, I had a very awesome "grit bowl" for $3.50. (That's what Warren always gets when we take the monkeys.) I was looking for something low fat and healthy, but soon scratched that and went for something hearty and delicious. (I didn't eat it all!)

It was awesome having Kerry all to myself and learning a little more about her--and the various other blogs she's done over the years. She's got two things I don't--a journalism degree and a very outgoing personality. I like knowing that Kerry is out there on the prowl, looking for great restaurants, bakeries, clothing shops, music shows, weekend activities and what not.

I already loved Memphis, but Kerry has made me love it even more. Read her blog, friend her on Facebook, or follow her on Twitter. You can thank me later.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...