Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Last Week

Still playing catch up....

Last week started with me back in the hospital for another surgery. This time it was my eye. I had a little bump on the inside of my lower eyelid for uh, ten years, that I thought was just a sty. For whatever reason (vanity, turning 40) I finally had it looked at. Turns out it wasn't a sty after all. Nope. Just skin cancer. But the very best kind of skin cancer.

Untitled

So I went in and they scraped out all of the bad stuff and sent me home with an eye shield, some pain killers, and strict orders to wear glasses, sleep upright, and be VERY careful. It wasn't too awful, especially after my earlier surgery. But yes, those of you who have seen me walking around with a black eye, this is why.

Warren, my mom, the kids, and the Raw Girls took very good care of me. Raw Girls? Yep, Amy Pickle and Hannah Phillips have a new business. I had raw dinners delivered every night. It was pretty awesome.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

It was a rather eventful week. Vanessa and Miles came to visit, due to a death in the family. Despite the sad circumstances, the boys got to have two nice, long play dates and even one sleepover, plus breakfast at Cafe Eclectic. Although Miles looks more like Satchel, he and Jiro are definitely two peas in a pod.

Untitled
Untitled

I was once again honored by the Flyer for Dining with Monkeys in the Best of Memphis poll. I managed to make it to the celebration since it was just across the street from our house.

amurica
_MG_8254
_MG_8416

Jiro actually spent a couple of days home with me with a cold, but he was fine by the weekend. On Friday there was a quick but crazy storm that knocked our power out for about 20 hours. It's been a long while since we lost power and the kids hardly knew what to do! We escaped to Edo and Yolo for most of the evening, got tons of sleep, and then went back into the world for more food and fun on Saturday morning.

Luckily we had our iPhones to remind us that civilization still existed!

Untitled

At Edo, both Satchel and Jiro drew a picture of me. Jiro gave me "crazy" eyes and even made one of them black.

Untitled

Satchel inexplicably gave me a mustache. And goatee. Maybe it was me and Warren together?

Untitled

(Oh for those of you wondering about the new ownership, Edo seems to be the same as it ever was. The new owner, who was one of the waitresses, is very nice and on top of things.)

Warren left for Atlanta on Saturday for a Kendo tournament. Since the power was still out, we ventured out for breakfast. Seems we weren't the only ones with this idea. Bryant's and the Pancake Shop were both packed, and we somehow ended up at Waffle House way out on Summer. The kids were starved and now think Waffle House is the best restaurant ever. I'm not kidding. Satchel wanted to go back for lunch. Maybe he was just crazy from his new drink concoction--Diet Coke and creamer.

Untitled

Sadly Jiro's soccer game was cancelled due to wet fields and Satchel's team had a bye. I'm telling you a Saturday without soccer is just sad. Merp.

Anyways, Warren hit the road and I took the monkeys out to the Corn Maze. We had the Rock-n-Romp there a couple of weeks ago, but they wanted MORE. We got in about 15 minutes on the jumping pillow.

Untitled

It's not as much fun without tons of other kids there and the monkeys really wanted to shoot the corn cannon.

Untitled

Motivated by winning freebies at Sonic, Ben & Jerry's, and Chik-fil-A, both monkeys had a pretty good shot record. Jiro made two out of three and Satch got one of out three. Not bad considering we watched a dad spend $4 and hit nothing.

Untitled

Next we hit the Maze. I haven't been in since the kids were little, but they both bragged about how easy it was. However, when I explained that there would be no cheating--i.e. cutting through the corn--they did look a little worried.

Untitled
Untitled

We made it to the halfway point fairly easily, but then we got stuck in the circle of bloody sheets. Seriously we couldn't get out. So we went back to the halfway point and called it a day. It had started raining so we couldn't go back to the pillow, which had been the original plan.

Untitled

So we ventured back home, discovered we had power again, and commenced lounging. The kids turned the entire living room into a fort. Can you see the cat in this picture?

Untitled

We also had dinner in the fort.

Untitled

We stayed up late watching movies and somehow managed to get to sleep despite knowing that the new Pokemon games came out on Sunday morning!

Untitled

The kids went to hang with Gigi, I went to the Project Green Fork Loving Local fundraiser, and Warren kicked some a$$ in Atlanta.

kendo

And there you have it. Back to work this week and finally cleared to start running again. Woot!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...