Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Age of Innocence

I had such high hopes for my ability to rage against the machine. (Exhibit A.)

***

A day or so ago while eating breakfast Satchel said, "If I was the boss, I wouldn't go to school--I'd go to Target!"

"Everyday?" I asked.

"Yes," he said very matter of fact already fantasizing about the shopping sprees he'd have.

"I'd go to Exxon," said Jiro, referring to his favorite snack spot.

"Yeah, Target then Exxon," Satchel said.

"Yeah," Jiro agreed.

"Mmm...junk food and toys," I said. "Awesome."

***

After school one evening, the monkeys were watching an episode of Ben 10 that I DVR'd for them. It was getting close to bath time, so I picked up the remote to fast forward through the commercials. Both monkeys immediately started to protest.

"DON'T FAST FORWARD IT!" Jiro screamed.

"Stop Mommy!" Satchel pleaded.

"Why do you want to watch the commercials?" I asked naively.

"Because there might be something cool on there that we want to buy!" Satchel replied.

Oh, of course.

Oddly enough a Wolfchase Honda ad came on--I guess Cartoon Network farms out a few seconds here and there for local marketing. I wasn't paying much attention to the jingle, but when it was over, Satchel turned to me and said, "Hondas are the best cars! WE HAVE THE BEST CAR!"

This was second only to the time he came tearing through the house trying to locate me so I could buy a pet brush being advertised on TV that would eliminate ALL of the pet hair in our house. "We need that!" he insisted.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...