Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Go for the Gold

That NYT article got me thinking about another article I read in Gourmet when Satchel was just a few months old. It was by a guy who wrote about food a lot and hence, took his daughter out to eat a lot. What I remembered most was a quote by her that was something like, "It tastes like yuck." Despite my pathetic memory and failure to note the author or the issue, I think it is fair to say that this article was the inspiration behind Dining with Monkeys.

With this limited information, I searched the Gourmet archives hoping to rediscover this gem, but could I not find the article. On a whim, I emailed the editors. An awesome guy named James emailed me this morning with a really funny article about a couple that took their two-year-old out for a six course, $100 meal in San Francisco. Before I could email him that it wasn't the article I was thinking about, he sent me the one that I was: "My Dinner with Isabel" by Jonathan Gold.

Jonathan Gold is my idol. He went from being a proofreader at the LA Weekly to being its first ever Pulitzer Prize winner. And yes, he won the Pulitzer for his restaurant reviews! His column is called Counter Intelligence and he has a book of his reviews. Dude!

I could go on and on, but I won't. Without further ado, here is the article. (Click to enlarge) Thanks again James for finding it!

1 comment:

Naomi Van Tol said...

Have you read "The United States of Arugula" by David Kamp? I'm enjoying it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...