Friday, May 19, 2006

Walkie Talkie


Now that Rock-n-Romp has *cough* catapulted me back into the Memphis Music Scene, I was thrilled when Warren told me that Walkie Talkie was playing in the Shangri-La parking lot last Saturday afternoon.

Warren works with Andrew McColgan, the guitarist, and the boys and I have really gotten to know him and the rest of the band over the past few months while attending numerous parties leading up to Andrew's recent nuptuals.

Lead singer Kate Crowder and her husband, guitarist Corey Crowder, have two kids, so I figured the Shangri-La event might resemble a mini Rock-n-Romp. The littlest Crowders were in attendance, as was drummer Joey Pegrem's teenage daughter, but for the most part, the crowd was full of young hipsters. I actually found that to be more exciting than a mini RnR as I so rarely get to mingle with young hipsters.

Halfway into the set, young Oliver Crowder did provide the audience with quite a show as he desperately tried to join his parents on stage. Or so I thought. It seems that he really just wanted to play his mama's keyboard.


I was really impressed with Walkie Talkie's music and Kate's voice is just amazing. I'm definitely going to see if I can't get them on the September RnR line up. If you can stay awake past midnight, go to their CD release party at the Hi-Tone tonight! Walkie Talkie's CD is called Residential Llama and has been compared to the Velvet Underground's Loaded by Chris Davis.

This just in...Walkie Talkie has officially changed their name to Residential Llama!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You may be too hip now with your rock-n-roll shows for the rest of us lame-ass parents.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...