Monday, June 23, 2008

Cats

A few weeks ago I got an email about the "Cats" Family Night at the Orpheum. It promoted a free kid's ticket with each adult ticket purchase and promised children's activities.

I was impressed.

I called Warren and asked if he wanted to go.

"Why would I want to see Cats?" he asked as if real men didn't see shows about cats.

I explained the family night deal and he changed his tune. "Yeah, that sounds like something the kids might like," he said. Then he added, "See if you can get the book that the play is based on and we can read it to the kids before we go."

"It's based on a book?" I said.

I had no idea. (And yes, I've even seen the play, albeit TWENTY-TWO years ago!)

"Yes, by T.S. Eliot."

A few clicks later I discovered that Cats is indeed based on Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Eliot. I called Bookstar, put a copy on hold, and then purchased our tickets for Sunday night at 7pm.

The book, which is comprised of poems, was an easy read that the kids enjoyed. They were both very excited about going to see the show. (Satchel loved the Lion King, which Jiro was too young to see at the time. Jiro's been hot to go see a show ever since.)

We had planned to go to a nice prix fixe dinner at the Majestic prior to the show, but opted to eat dinner at home after a long day of yard work and swimming. We arrived at the Orpheum around 6:30pm and found it bustling with children, most of whom had whiskers painted on their faces. The boys passed on this, but were very happy to accept the free drawstring backpacks they were handing out.

Since it was a special occasion we agreed to let each one of them choose a "treat" at the concession stand. Satchel chose a $3 box of Sour Patch Kids and Jiro chose a $3 box of Mike and Ike's. I made a mental note to sneak in .75 candy next time along with my own bottle of water.

The kids couldn't wait to get to their seats, so we proceeded to the Grand Tier where we had a nice view of the stage. The usher informed us that there were more kids' activities upstairs, but neither monkey was interested. I needed to go to the restroom, so I went up and checked it out. The "activity" was a table with coloring book pages and crayons laid out. There was also another table with some Smarties and other little candies on it for the taking.



I rejoined Warren and the boys on the Grand Tier. My mom and nephew bought seats next to ours and they were now there too. They had dinner at Big Foot Lodge and my mom showed me pictures of my nephew's S'mores dessert, which were impressive enough to make me want to take the boys. (They bring a mini campfire to the table! Okay, maybe I won't take them...)

I had loaned my nephew the T.S. Eliot book a few days prior and my mom brought it with her to return it to us. This worked out great since Satchel was very excited to flip through it in anticipation. I showed Jiro the program with pictures of the cast in their costumes and he was intrigued. "Are they cats or people?" he asked.

"They are people dressed as cats," I explained.

As the theater started to fill up, Satchel looked at me and excitedly asked, "Did all of these people read the book?"

"Uh, maybe..." I said.

Jiro was very anxious for the show to start and asked me several times, "How many more minutes??"

When the lights finally went down, Jiro was in Warren's lap in the row behind me, and Satchel was sitting next to me. After one song, Jiro came down and sat in my lap and put his head down. "Can you see like that?" I whispered in his ear.

"I don't want to see!" he cried. "It's dumb!"

Uh-oh. I had a flashback to 1986 when my parents took my sisters and I to see Cats in Toronto. I was thoroughly unimpressed.

Luckily Satchel, who had now moved to Warren's lap, seemed to be entranced.

After a few set changes and a few Mike and Ike's, Jiro did perk up a little bit. He actually became quite fascinated by the technical elements of the show, especially the lighting. "How does that big light move?" he asked me gesturing toward the large spotlight behind us.

"There's a person up there moving it," I said.

I started enjoying the show when Rum Tum Tugger came out. That was my favorite poem because it reminded me of my cat. The actor really sexed up the role and made it fun. It was almost like he escaped from the set of Hair.

As we approached the intermission, Jiro began asking if it was going to be over soon. I explained about the break. "Can I get some more candy?" he asked hopefully.

As Grizabella finished the second act with "Memory" I wracked my brain trying to figure out why the song sounded so familiar. Surely I didn't remember it from twenty-two years ago. As if reading my mind, Warren tapped me on the shoulder and said, "This is the song David Castro sang on American Idol."

Yes! That's it. I laughed and corrected him, "Jason Castro."

At the break, my mom gave Jiro $3 and sent him off with my nephew to buy candy. Satchel made a quick run to the bathroom with Warren and then refused to leave his seat, worried he might miss something. He and Warren then flipped through the book some more, comparing it to the program, and discussing what was coming next. Satchel also practiced making scary cat faces.



Jiro happily returned with Raisinettes and sat back in my lap for the second act. I asked Jiro if I could have some of his candy and he said no. "You used to be such a good sharer," I lamented. "What happened?"

"He's growing up," my nephew very astutely noted.

Eventually Jiro did give me two Raisinettes. "Teeny-tiny ones."



The second act was a bit torturous as Jiro was extra extra squirmy. Satchel also decided that he wanted a turn in my lap which caused him and Jiro to come to blows. I begged Jiro to sit in Warren's lap, but he would have none of it. Satchel agreed to sit next to me as long as I rubbed his arm.

Instead of feeling smothered by my two monkeys I tried to relish the fact that they will only want to sit in my lap or have me rub their arms for so much longer. Then I had a very vivid memory of being at Cats those twenty-two years ago. I remember my mom was sitting next to me and she was rubbing my finger. (I guess that was all that I allowed at age 14.) I pulled my hand away and whined Mooom!.

"Wouldn't it be crazy if those were all real cats?" Satchel said.

Jiro was still asking if it was almost over. I looked in the program and informed him that there were 4 more songs. "No, two more," he said as if I could actually negotiate this.

Halfway through the song, he turned to me and said, "Three more to go!"

"It's still four," I said laughing. "This is just a very long song."

Satchel leaned in and asked, "Where did they buy all that stuff?"

"What stuff?"

"All that stuff," he said motioning at the stage.

"You mean the set and the costumes?"

"Uh-huh."

"They had to make it," I said.

"Wow!" he said impressed.

By the time we got to the final number Jiro was pacing the aisle. Satchel was quietly singing along.

"Do we get to go down on the stage and run around now?" Satchel asked hopefully as the curtain closed.

"Do we get to go home now and play Wii?" Jiro asked even more hopefully.



The next morning at breakfast, Satchel turned to Jiro and instead of asking if he wanted to play Indiana Jones or Star Wars at school he said, "Do you want to play Cats at school today?"

"Yes," said Jiro.

"I'm Macavity the Mystery Cat," said Satchel.

"I'm Growltiger," said Jiro.

I said to Jiro, "I thought you didn't like Cats."

"I did," he said.

"Then why did you keep asking if it was almost over?"

"Because I knew if it got too late you wouldn't let me play Wii when we got home."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

great post! just a friendly word of advice from another kid that grew up going to musicals. should "starlight express" come through town, DO NOT TAKE THE KIDS. or yourself. you may be tempted, since they're all on skates. RESIST.

single worst theater experience ever.

Chip said...

As much as I love music, I sure hate musicals. There's something about the style, the aesthetic of it all that disturbs me.

Of course, I'll let the kids make that determination for themselves. I'll take them to see something when they're a bit older.

Aaron said...

Our seven year loved it. He saw it with his Mom. The three year old stayed at home with me- he would have been a stray cat after the first 30 minutes. Nice post.

cjaxon said...

I have really GOT to start paying attention to what is going on around town! I would have loved to take my gal!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...