Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The Queen of all Media

In true Howard Stern fashion, I have decided to dominate all forms of media this year. In addition to infiltrating nearly every local publication with my writing, I've been on TV protesting the Zoo's destruction of the Old Forest (Channel 24 and Channel 5), I've done voiceovers for two segments I co-produced for MLGW's TV show, Memphis Energized, and now I'm going to be on the radio! Oh but not just any radio station, the best radio station in Memphis: WKNO.

Ok, Ok, it's just a listener testimonial, but Justin Willingham asked me special (even after our auspicious beginnings) and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I'm doing "This I Believe" segments and being interviewed by Terry Gross on "Fresh Air."

Heh.

Really, I was incredibly nervous going in, and thought about coming up with a reason to cancel, but I decided to suck it up since I really do want to write a winning essay for "This I Believe" and/or be interviewed by Terry Gross (or Steve Inskeep or Bob Edwards) one day. Driving to the station it was pretty surreal listening to Justin do his breaks and whatnot knowing that I was going to sitting next to him in the studio in just a matter of minutes. I was thinking of all kinds of great stories that WKNO could produce for their local spots during "All Things Considered." (Like wouldn't a Rock-n-Romp piece or a walk through the Old Forest be audibly pleasing?)

When I got to the station, I waited for a minute in the foyer taking deep breaths until Justin appeared in the hallway. He was much younger and had much less hair than I remembered. (Not that he's balding or anything, but I pictured his hair bigger, kinda like Dan Harper circa 1990.) We made it back to the studio just in time for Justin to do one of his traffic reports.

It was super awesome to witness a live "I'm Justin Willingham." (He sounds so earnest when he says his name.)



Because I was nervous, and because my friends teased me endlessly about my Memphis (un)Energized voiceover, I made notes, tried to smile while I talked, and took frequent sips of water.

My whole interview lasted about 3 minutes.

Justin said, "This is great, I have lots of good stuff here I can use," and that was that. "Want me to take a picture of you for your blog?" he asked.

Why, of course!



We chatted about the economy going up in flames as he walked me to the door, and I was feeling pretty good about the whole experience. While I'm thinking about how cool I am, Justin was apparently thinking something else. As we shook hands, I smiled and said, "Thanks, see ya around."

His reply?

"Yes, Ma'am."

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

At least he spelled it right!

Chip said...

Stephanie-- FTW!

Anonymous said...

Just as an FYI, I call everyone Ma'am and Sir ... even people younger than me. I'm southern, you know...

you're listener testimonial is great ... and i'm sorry if i offended!!

j

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...