Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Five Finger Toe Shoes

For Satchels' birthday in April, he only wanted one thing--a pair of Vibram's Five Finger Toe Shoes. It's a good thing that's all he wanted because they run about $80.

Yes, they are hideous. I know. I tried a pair on. But there's just something about them. Satchel loves them and he wore them everyday until I made him stop. (More on that below.)

Wearing them has attracted lots of attention to his feet. From Fisherman's Wharf to the Delta Fair, numerous people have stopped to stare and say things like, "What the heck are those?"

IMG_9622

Now let me just say this. I realize that these shoes were not made for eight-year-old boys, but I have been extremely disappointed in their durability.

He had them for about a week before I had to sew a hole in the toe. Since then, I've sewed a couple other holes as well. And as you can see from the picture, the latest hole cannot be sewn.

IMG_1471

Additionally, these suckers STINK. Oh my lord, do they stink. I've scrubbed and scrubbed, but you cannot remove the funk.

IMG_1469

In fact, we've scrubbed so much, the smelly part has started separating from the protective bottom sole.

IMG_1466

It's really a shame. Satchel really does love these shoes. I finally had to tell him that he simply could not wear them any longer. I put him back in the Keen sandals that I bought him 2 years ago that somehow still fit and pretty much look like new. (And cost half as much, I might add.)

I emailed the company to see if they replaced or repaired their shoes when they fell apart, but I haven't heard back. (When the soles on my Chaco's wore out, they sent me a new pair.)

I realize that not all companies are going to offer a lifetime guarantee like Chaco. Keen doesn't, but I've found their shoes to be more than durable. When I pay $80 for a pair of shoes, I expect them to last more than 6 months. And not stink to high heaven.

Who knows, maybe they'll improve the quality in the future, but for now I'm doing my best to convince Satchel that wearing socks and normal shoes won't make his feet explode.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm screaming here! I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a pair of these, so thanks for the write-up. I DO think these are orthopedically much better and designed for how our feet evolved, but obviously not ready for prime time...

Stacey Greenberg said...

lol, roy. comfort wise they are king. i'm sure you would treat yours better than satchel ;)

Anonymous said...

My husband & I both have a pair. We LOVE them. We have worn them for almost a year now. Even brought them to Mexico to wear at the beach. They are in great shape & no smell...that we can tell! Perhaps you are right, we are in our late 30s and little boys are a different wear-testing breed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...