Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Belz Museum

After skating on Saturday, we headed downtown for our annual brunch with Santa at the Majestic Grille. (More on that later.) When we were done, I wanted to walk the monkeys down the street to see our dentist's award winning holiday window. We didn't get but a few feet when Warren announced that he wanted to go to the Belz Museum of Asian and Judaic Art.

We headed inside Peabody Place and down the stairs to what has to be one of the City's best kept secrets. I'm actually embarrassed that I never ever ventured down there before.

IMG_3235

The cost is $6 for adults and kids under 12 are free. We were charged $10, so I don't know if we got a Senior discount or what. (We do have a lot of grey hair!)

The Chinese collection is absolutely astounding. According to the website, it is the largest and most comprehensive collection of Chinese art in the southern region of the United States.

The monkeys were quite thrilled to see their king.

IMG_3207

I loved all of the guardian sculptures, and the parade of other animals.

IMG_3211

I really knew nothing about Chinese art and was blown away again and again by the level of detail.

More from the website:
China is represented by outstanding works of art, many of which were created during China’s Qing dynasty (1644-1911), and are characteristic of an ancient culture with rich artistic traditions.

Artwork from this dynasty was created by artisans and craftsmen who spent many years perfecting each piece to convey the patronage of the Qing Court. The result is is some of the most exquisite treasures the world has ever seen. The collection of more than 900 objects, which range in date from 202 BC to the early twentieth-century, includes intricately carved jades, ivories, sculptures, paintings, ceramics, lacquer, textiles and funerary art.

My pictures really don't do the collection justice. You MUST go see for yourself!

IMG_3231

The tusk carvings are worth the trip alone.

IMG_3237
waldo

The museum is only a few rooms, which is a good size for kids. There was plenty to see, but not so much that we got overwhelmed. We probably spent about an hour down there. (I have a feeling Warren could have stayed several more.)

Jiro did get a little cranky after awhile, so I sat him down on a bench with my phone while we explored the Judaica section. The art there was mostly contemporary and frankly paled in comparison to the Chinese art, but it was still cool to see.

I love discovering new things right outside my door!

1 comment:

Memphisotan said...

Whenever I see that sign I think, "This is like the Greenberg-Oster Museum!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...