Monday, January 09, 2012

Basketball!

So I mentioned that the monkeys are playing basketball. It was more a case of me wanting them to play than them actually wanting to play, but mother knows best, right?

I wanted them to play so that it would be a few less hours staring at the TV or the iPod or whatever, and a few more hours running around. I also thought that the dark winter months would be a good time for them to have 2-3 built in play dates/face-time activities with their buddies. Most of their besties have moved to other schools, so basketball gives them a time to see each other and have fun.

They started practicing in November, and Satchel's team had two games in December before the holiday break. It was pretty clear to me from the get go that he could care less about the games--and has very little confidence/spunk at game time. However, he seems to enjoy practice enough to make up for the torture of having to run around rather clueless on the court.



His game on Saturday was actually quite exciting. His team looked really good and the score during the first half was very close. There was one point when his team was even ahead! We almost didn't know how to react!



Sadly things took a turn for the worse in the second half and they lost by a pretty big margin, but they seemed excited to have scored so many points and there was no doubt that they are improving.

Now, let's talk about my Jiro. When I look at him, I can't help seeing "Athletic Scholarship" written all over his forehead.



His boundless energy, natural agressive tendencies, and all around enthusiasm for anything involving his friends certainly serves him well in sports. He was tough as nails on the soccer field and he is anything but shy on the basketball court.



I had my doubts about a first & second grade team's game being anything but chaotic, but they really followed direction. They've been practicing a zone defense (and offense?) and I'll be damned if they didn't get out there and do just as they were taught.



I'm thinking Coach P has a great season in store for us.



(The first & second graders don't keep score, but us parents can't help ourselves... shhh.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...