Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chicken Update

If there is one thing I have learned about chickens it is that they poop a lot. A LOT! In fact, they pooped during our recent photo shoot in which I tried to get close ups of their faces. As of last week they still hadn't been named because frankly I couldn't tell them apart. Warren says one's wattles are uneven.

After chasing them around for a bit, I could see what he was saying. I couldn't quite capture it on film, but I could see it. So, later I talked to the kids and we finally named them. Let me introduce you to Omelet and Lollipop. Lollipop has the uneven wattles, and is the gal up front.

Untitled

The chickens have proven to be fairly low maintenance. The kids let them out in the morning, check the food and water, and then let them back in at night, again checking the food and water. Warren comes up with interesting things for them to eat--egg shells, peanuts, food scraps, etc.--and will take the kids out to hand feed them from time to time. This has made the girls more friendly and they show much more interest in us now.

We were averaging about an egg a day. It took one of the girls awhile to start producing, but she eventually did. It's easy to tell who lays which eggs as they have a different shape. (Well I actually don't know who lays which shape, but I can tell if the eggs are coming from one hen or two.) We've gone a few days now with no eggs and I think it's because they've found a new spot to lay them and we haven't discovered it yet.

So yeah, we actually had to buy eggs on Sunday. (And then the cashier forgot to put them in our basket so I had to go back a second time to get them.)

And yes, we still eat chicken.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...