Monday, May 07, 2012

Spring Soccer--Wrap Up

Just look at these guys. Have you ever seen a better looking bunch?

Untitled

On Saturday we had our last game of the season. We did not win. It seems that as the season progressed the teams we played got bigger and bigger. Entering mostly 2 & 3rd graders in the 3 & 4th grade league may not have been the best of ideas, but I do believe that they will be better for it in the fall when they are actually 3 & 4th graders.

Oh I should definitely mention that in our fourth game, which ended up being a major blow out due to being on a field with full size goals, my little Jiro scored our one and only goal. It wasn't as dramatic as Satchel's half field run to the goal, but he was in the right spot at the right time. He had practiced it over and over the night before, and it totally paid off. He was so proud of himself and I was super proud of him for working so hard on his position. I was also proud of myself for not running out onto the field. I made sure to make eye contact with him and pump my fists in the air so he could see my excitement though!

Sadly we didn't score at all in the 5th & 6th games. The other guys were just too big. Most of the teams were all fourth graders and every team we played seemed to have a giant or two that either got held back, lied about his age, or took steroids!

At the end of our last game, we made sure everyone knew how hard they played and how much we appreciated them. It's hard to lose all but one game, but these guys took it in stride.

Untitled

I was especially happy with Jiro's overall performance. He gave me some serious headaches in the beginning of the season, but he eventually came around. He worked hard in practice, complained a little less each time, and no matter what gave 110% in every game. Satchel, on the other hand, kind of fizzled out at the end. One minute he was telling me he was sad soccer was ending and the next he was acting like he couldn't wait for it to be over. I have no clue what happened, but at our last practice he was a nightmare and in the last game he just didn't try. Even one of his teammates came over and said to me, "It's like Satchel's given up." Total bummer.

Anyways, after the last game, we went back to our home field for sundaes, trophies and a super fun parents vs. kids game. (The parents totally dominated!)

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

When giving out the trophies, Carlos or I made a speech about each player so that he (or she) felt extra special.

Untitled

And then, at the bottom of the trophy box, was a medal for me & Carlos so we felt extra special. How awesome is that? Mine says, "Coach Stacey, Evergreen All Stars."

Untitled

I think "All Stars" is a great descriptor for the Mean Green. We really had a great bunch of little guys. Sure they talked smack, they fought over who's turn it was, and they moaned and groaned at times, but all in all they were awesome, and each and everyone of them improved. I'm so happy I decided to coach. And I hope to do it again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...