Thursday, March 21, 2013

Epic Sleepover

Satchel and Jiro REALLY wanted to have a sleepover during Spring Break. Because I am awesome, I agreed. On Wednesday, Jiro had his besties Santi & Enrique over, and Satchel invited Pavel. The sleepover started at 5:00pm, so the evening was spent running around, playing video games, running around, playing Legos, running around and finally watching a movie.

Untitled

They all wanted to stay up super late, of course, but because we had a big day planned on Thursday, I coerced them into lights out at 10:30pm.

Untitled

The kids' all time favorite activity, next to playing video games, is sleeping on a pallet on the floor. I think they were all actually asleep around 12:30am. I had high hopes of them sleeping in, but I knew it was just a sad fantasy. By 7:30am they were all milling about. I acknowledged their existence around 8:30am.

I got up and independently asked everyone what they wanted for breakfast (so they would be truthful and not eat what their buddies were eating) and then played short order cook for the next hour.

Untitled
(Omelet, cereal , just bacon.)

Our main plan was to check out the Kroc Center, but I really wanted to go to the Chalk Art Festival at the Brooks first. Jiro REALLY did NOT want to go. I'm pretty sure most of them didn't, but they were humoring me. I was finally able to get everyone on board and we arrived at 9:55am. Considering it didn't officially start until 10:00am I was surprised to see that is was already packed. It took us a minute to find some free concrete to chalk up.

Initially the boys were at a loss about what to draw, so I suggested they all do their names. Next thing I knew, I had bought three packages of chalk and unleashed some serious creativity.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

The boys were all in awe of Pavel, and agreed he was the best artist.

Untitled
Untitled

I liked Enrique's comic book inspired theme.

Untitled
Untitled

And Santi was by far the most ambitious of the crew.

Untitled

While he was working, he made sure no one else honed in on his space.

Untitled

They worked pretty diligently for about an hour, which of course made them hungry. Second breakfast consisted of corn dogs and water ice from the food trucks that came to the event. (More on that later!)

Untitled

FINALLY, it was time to go to the Kroc Center. The boys got suited up and we headed over. I filled out forms so we could all do a $5 day pass, which I think is a pretty awesome deal.

We gave ourselves a little tour, played in the indoor soccer area for a hot minute, and then high-tailed it to the pool. The boys had to take a swim test (swim a length) in order to be allowed to swim without an adult, and thankfully they all easily passed.

Untitled
Untitled

Once they passed, the lifeguard recorded their names in a ledger, presumably so that they never have to take the test again. It was really funny watching her try to get everyone's name spelled correctly.

The indoor pool play area is pretty awesome. It was packed with kids and adults, and could probably be twice as big, but the boys loved it. (FYI--the slide doesn't open until 4pm, and the pool closes from 3-4pm every day.)

Untitled

Untitled

After an hour or so of serious swimming, everyone was hungry again, natch.

Untitled

We headed to the Kroc Cafe for a little snack. I'll discuss the Cafe in more detail on that other blog.

Untitled

Once sated, they joined friends Ari & Iain on the indoor soccer field for a pick up game.

Untitled
Untitled

After an hour or so of soccer, everyone was ready to take a little break. It was also time for Pavel to get picked up. So, we went home for a rest, and with plans to meet Ari & Iain back at the pool once the slide opened.

Untitled

The slide is actually pretty intense. Jiro and Enrique braved it, but I'm not sure anyone else did.

We stayed at the ppol until almost 6pm, when I had to finally, officially pull the plug on the sleepover.

The boys can't wait to go back to the Kroc, and once we got back home, they wanted to buy sketch pads so that they could draw. Quote from Satchel a few hours later, "If we didn't go to the Chalk Art Fest today, I'd be playing video games instead of drawing."

Epic success!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...