Monday, June 10, 2013

Spring Soccer Wrap Up

I started a mid-season report that I never posted, and now soccer has been over for two weeks! Spring soccer ended up being extremely challenging, but rewarding overall.

Both Evergreen and Second Presbyterian teams got off to a great start. However, Jiro had a hard time adjusting to playing with the big kids at 2PC, which surprised me. He did great in the first game, but then had a crisis of confidence and refused to play in the second one. Honestly, I was really disappointed, but if you have ever met Jiro, you know that it is pretty pointless to argue with him once he's made up his mind. Despite trying both positive and negative reinforcement, I could not get him to practice or play with 2PC. I eventually had to give in and let him quit.

Untitled

Satchel, thankfully, was enthusiastic and cooperative for the entire season. (He responds much better to both positive and negative reinforcement.)

Untitled

Speaking of the entire season, it rained its ass off! So many games and practices had to be cancelled, it totally sucked. I vowed to start an indoor league next spring!

Untitled

I missed a lot of Satchel's games due to scheduling conflicts, but I think he is starting to build confidence and become a better player. Coach Kyle is always very complimentary of him, and from what I hear, he played his heart out in the last game.

Despite the rain, Evergreen had one of it's best seasons ever. We won almost every game. There were two ties, a loss, and five wins I think? Pretty good! Jiro definitely had his best season ever. He has become quite the defender/midfielder/sweeper! I think playing indoor with the older kids made him want to hang back, which is fine, but I do hope he will move out to forward eventually. I would also like to see both him and Satchel go back to playing goalie from time to time.

Untitled

In our last game of the season, Jiro finally played forward and scored his only goal of the season with about three seconds left! He was of course assisted by his best buddy, Enrique.

We had a great crew this season. They really worked hard and really worked together. Pretty awesome.

Evergreen 3rd 4th Soccer Spring 2013 1

We also had one of the best team cheers ever, thanks to Bailey and his booming voice! (When I say "Ever" you say "Green!")

Untitled

Coach Carlos and I ended up being a little bit more than just helpful parents to Coach Bailey.

Untitled
Untitled

(No photos of me being bossy or opinionated available at this time.)

None of us will ever look at a "Big Snickers" the same way, that's for sure.

Untitled

Sometimes having three coaches was awesome. Sometimes it was not so awesome. But, I think we pulled it out. Most of our strife was internal and the kids never caught on that three was a crowd. We definitely learned a lot about ourselves as coaches and I believe Evergreen fall soccer will be the better for it.

Untitled

I'm signed up for the 5-6th Evergreen boys, so I can coach Satchel one last time. Even though Coach Kyle and Coach Chris at 2PC are awesome, I want Satchel all to myself!

The O35 league is currently in full force. I am happy to report that my team, The Highballs, are kicking ass. It's SO much fun! And such a workout! Many of my young players (whose moms are on my team) have been in attendance and I am earning some definite street cred among them! Can't beat that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...