Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Bass Pro

The only thing that appeals to me about the new Bass Pro, is the roof. I wanted to ride the elevator, check out the view, and maybe have a drink at the bar, called The Lookout. (I heard you get a free drink with your elevator ticket.) Anyway, last night, the monkeys and I decided to go check it out. Since Jiro had a $25 gift card from his birthday, he was totally on board. Satchel had to be nudged a bit, but he eventually came around.

I was hoping to get to the top for sunset, but as we pulled into the parking lot, we saw a fire truck and a lot of people standing outside. We waited a few minutes before throwing in the towel, and luckily they started letting people back in. I told the boys we should do the elevator first and they agreed. We tried to buy tickets but were told the elevators were out of service for a few minutes and to come back later. Of course, I had to ask why if it was just a few minutes, we couldn't just wait, but eventually they suggested coming back in a hour. Whatevs.

(We later learned that someone pulled the fire alarm which in turn stopped the elevator. People got trapped on it, and I'm sure there was a lot of ensuing drama.)

The boys and I commenced looking around for things to buy for $25 or less.

This Davy Crockett hat was a contender.

Bass Pro

These sunglasses were way out of our budget, but fun to try on.

Bass Pro
Bass Pro

Jiro ultimately decided to spend his money on a candy bar for himself, Pop Rocks for his brother, and a Father's day gift for Warren. Is he the sweetest kid ever?? I think so.

As we walked around, Satchel had an ongoing joke about everything camo. "Why are these racks empty?" he would ask. It was funny.

Bass Pro

Eventually we saw that the elevators were back in action, and we bought our tickets. $10 each, and sorry, no more free drinks! (Kids are $5 before 4pm.)

Bass Pro
Bass Pro

The elevator ride was fun, and fast, and we made our way out to the observation deck. We just missed the sunset! Surprisingly, Satchel was scared to walk out to the ledge. And even more surprisngly, Jiro and I were not. It was a little freaky though.

Bass Pro

After taking some pictures and enjoying the view, we went inside.

Bass Pro

They boys wanted to sit at the bar and get a drink, and maybe a snack. (They were also serving appetizers.)

Bass Pro
Bass Pro

I had agreed to basically get the boys whatever they wanted since I was chalking this all up to a one and only visit. But, none of the food sounded too appealing and I had already fed them a nice dinner at home. I wasn't in the mood for a drink, so I ordered two Shirley Temples. The bartender told us that you had to be 21 and up to sit at the bar, which must have made the kids look sad, because she then said the drinks were on her, which was sweet. (I tried talking her out of it.)

Bass Pro

The boys were thrilled with the drinks.

Bass Pro
Bass Pro

There are some pretty sweet views inside from the North. (East wall is the elevator, South and West face observation decks.)

Bass Pro

We went to take one last look, and Satchel got his nerve up for a quick picture.

Bass Pro

It was a fun visit. I can't see ever wanting to hang out in The Lookout, since it is very touristy, but it is definitely worth one trip. Kinda like Graceland?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...