Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I Want to Ride My Bicycle, I Want to Ride My Bike

It's been all bikes all the time around here. When Warren was in Missouri working a few weeks ago, Satchel asked me to take the training wheels off of his bike. Despite trying to convince him to wait for daddy and insisting that I didn't know how to take them off, I eventually did agree (and find a way to get them off).

Then things pretty much sucked.

Instead of being able to do yardwork while the monkeys rode around, I now had to hold onto the back of Satchel's bike and promise not to let go and then get yelled at for letting go. "How are you going to learn if I don't let go? I hollered. Then he decided that rather than use his brakes to stop, he should just jump off. When he jumped off and scraped his knee, it was all my fault.

The training wheels went back on.

When Warren got back in town, he was assigned Saturday duty since I had to work. I met up with him and the monkeys at a birthday party Saturday afternoon. As I pulled up to the house, I saw the birthday boy, Jiro and Satchel riding their bikes up and down the sidewalk while the parents mingled on the porch.

Before I could even register what was going on, Satchel said, "Look! No training wheels!" as he sped past me.

I looked at Warren, stunned.

"Wha--Huh--How did you do that?" I stammered.

"We went to Shelby Farms this morning and I let him practice on a hill where there was lots of grass. He got it right away."

Chalk another one up for Super Dad.

When the party was over, we went to Overton Park so that Satchel could show me how far he could really ride. Jiro and I sat on a hill and watched in amazement. I literally got chills. Riding a bike with no training wheels is a major milestones.

It is bittersweet to see my firstborn growing up right before my eyes.


This shot is from Jiro, my budding photographer's, perspective! See that tiny red dot in the distance? That's big brother!


Now that Satchel can ride unfettered, he wants to ride as much as possible. All last week he got up early to ride his bike while Warren jogged in Overton Park before school.

As soon as we get home from school, he wants to ride some more.

One evening, I stood helplessly and watched as he sped down our street toward the cove. I had to look away, sure that he was going to crash.

But he didn't.

He effortlessly made the turn and came peddling right back up the hill. I was beaming, as was he.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! Felix learned Memorial Day weekend... only problem is he can't start on his own, did you figure something out for that? It really is a pretty major milestone.
kc

Stacey Greenberg said...

he's still perfecting the start!

go felix!!!!!

bridgmanpottery said...

my boy just got his first bike- we're pretty pumped about the confidence that the training wheels gives him. I can't imagine the day that he'll ask to take them off. Amazing kids.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...