Monday, November 07, 2005

Brief, Very Rushed Updates

I have no time to write!

Quickly...

Kansas City

On my third day in Kansas City, I again slept in and still had time to blow dry my hair. The calls home were becoming more and more painful as I could hear my sweet little boys doing just fine without me. (A sure sign of successful parenting!)

This was the day that there were actually several workshops I wanted to attend. I did so and surprised myself by actually talking to other conference goers. I ended up having lunch with the pregnant woman from Indiana, attending the Margarita Mixer and chatting to several people, and then I actually went out to dinner with six complete strangers. I was pretty proud of myself.

I had a really good day that I again capped off with a little pay per view.

My last day was a bit of a bonus as the conference was pretty much over and I had a late afternoon flight. I did some sight seeing, went to a movie, and had my eyebrows waxed. By the time I got to Memphis I felt extremely rested and rejuvenated.

As I came out of the terminal I saw Warren holding Jiro and Satchel holding a little handmade sign that said, “Mommy.” I was so happy to see them I almost exploded. Satchel ran over right away and excitedly asked, “Where’s my present?” Warren let Jiro down and he ran towards me with a big grin, then past me, and then right to the escalator, which was clearly much more exciting than me.

The Freedom Awards

I made it to the dinner by 6:30pm and wasn’t really late at all. I immediately got a glass of wine and settled in for a good time. There were about 5000 people in attendance, all looking very fancy. I looked fancy, but not nearly as fancy as most.

The dinner was really nice—there was live entertainment, a video montage, and a buzz in the air. But the awards show, which was next door in the Cannon center, was the most amazing event I have ever witnessed. It was akin to being at the Oscar’s. It was a first rate event that will be televised in 2006.

Angela Basset was the mistress of ceremonies and did an excellent job. Ruby Dee gave an acceptance speech/performance that was riveting. Paul Russesabagina was brilliant despite the fact that at least six people butchered the pronunciation of his name. Oprah, was Oprah, and did not disappoint. There was more live entertainment, video montages with the likes of Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, and an audience full of activists. It was inspiring to say the least. The evening ended with everyone holding hands and singing “We Shall Overcome.”

If it weren’t for the corporate sponsorship (Fedex this, Exxon that) and the fact that I had my feet crammed into size 2 nine inch heels it would have been a damn near perfect evening.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I'm leaving my family for a couple of days this week, but I don't think it will be as relaxing as your trip was. Sewanee, here I come!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...