Sunday, September 30, 2007

Cocktail Evening

After shirking our duties for as long as humanly possible, Warren and I sucked it up and hosted Cocktail Evening on Friday. This involved a lot of cleaning on my part (not that anyone could tell), some rearranging of furniture, a trip to the liquor store, and getting off work early to hose off the patio furniture and put meat on sticks and then grill it. All of our hard work was worth it though as we had full attendance (minus the lame-ass Admiral who was "working"), and even had a few childless people come.

Let me take a moment to say that the childless people seemed to be having the most fun--playing zombie, popping packing bubbles, trying out the sit-and-spin, and even dressing up like power rangers (sort of). Aunt Elizabeth, who did not participate in any of the above activities, came in, took a look at my pile of carpet samples, and quickly solved the Rug-of-War.

Everyone admired the new leather sofas, but only the kids actually sat on them. Turns out the giant bean bag drew them all into the living room, so all of the adults congregated in the dining room. To be fair, the kids did take a break from the bean bag every few minutes just to run in the boys' room, randomly pull some toys off the shelf, and scatter them about. I made Warren promise to not let me go in the kids' room so that I would actually enjoy myself and not go into an OCD toy organizing daze. This worked out well, since I actually did get to relax and I even saw Warren doing some mid-evening organization. (S literally fell down three or four times in the span of 5 seconds because there were so many toys on the floor.) I relaxed so much that I didn't take pictures of anything for about 4 hours! At one point I was sitting on the porch glider chatting when S.A.M. appeared with mugs full of homemade banana pudding ice cream. Now, what's better than that?

The (lame-ass) Admiral (who was "working") called around midnight to inquire about the whereabouts of his off-spring which was a total buzz kill and alerted us all to the fact that we had unknowingly turned into pumpkins. Oops!

Once everyone left, Satchel immediately fell asleep on the bean bag. Warren and I spent an hour cleaning up and Jiro followed us around saying, "I'm tired."


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

1 comment:

Memphisotan said...

I can't believe it took us this long to think of inviting the energetic, easily amused, childless people.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...