Friday, March 07, 2008

Let it Snow!

I love snow on a Friday...especially when the boys are already at Warren's office and it gets me out of working on a Saturday. Woo-hoo!

Not only that, but I got to leave work early to boot. How did I spend my extra two hours? First, I got the total runaround at OPD (The Office of Planning & Development) when I went looking for some "public" documents. (I literally felt like I was at Dundler Mifflin.)

Next, I bought some beer and some rubber boots for myself before calling and waking the very pregnant and most awesome director of the boys' school from her afternoon nap and actually convincing her to unlock the school doors for me to retrieve the boys' rain boots. (Her son's boots were also captive and she was planning on going back anyway. I swear!)

When I pulled in front of the house, the monkeys were in the window jumping up and down in anticipation. They ran to the door and started mouthing, "Did you get our boots? Did you get our boots?"

The three of us suited up and hit the streets with the dogs. "I can't believe it really snowed!" Jiro marveled as we tromped through the field out front.

"This sure is a lot of snow!" Satchel cooed. "I can't wait until we go to the park tomorrow!"



After running all around and getting every inch of ourselves wet, we went inside for some freshed baked cookies, compliments of Warren.

I threw all of our wet stuff in the dryer and set my mind towards curling up on the sofa when BAM! out went the lights. (And the computer, and the Wii, and the HEATER!) Suddenly the snow didn't seem so fun anymore. Of course, I immediately thought the worst and began constructing a mental list of potential people to shack up with for the weekend.

After reporting our outage and trying in vain to get an estimated time of restoration, we decided to take a drive, get some dinner, and then (hopefully) come home to a brightly lit house.

We were in the car for about two seconds before both monkeys were fast asleep. It must have been the complete darkness surrounding our house! Several blocks were without power. This was actually reassuring as MLGW restores the largest outages first.

After cruising around for a bit, getting some groceries, and cruising around some more, we pulled into the BBQ Shop and desperately tried to wake up the kids. They were totally zonked. Jiro eventually stirred, but Satchel slept through being carried in, propped in the booth, and carried out again. (He has his first ever ear infection and was up half the night last night.) It was definitely the most mellow dining with monkeys experience I have ever had!

As we approached East Parkway, it was clear that our plan had worked. Despite all the streetlights being on, I kept my fingers crossed until we pulled up to the house.

"Look! The TV is on!" Satchel yelped from the back, wide awake.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...