Friday, May 16, 2008

Retired

So, last week, with very little fanfare, I retired from the roller derby. I am now officially a member of the XZ Society.

But WHY?

Roller derby is hard on the body. Prior to breaking my leg, I had a stress fracture in my foot and the beginnings of some very serious back pain. (In fact, I was scheduled to have back surgery on December 20, 2006, but canceled it after having a 12 inch steel rod pounded into my shin bone on December 10, 2006.) After getting my leg back in shape, my back pain started in full force. If it weren't for Machine Gun Kelly's magic hands I never would have been able to skate in our last two bouts.

Roller derby takes up a lot of time. There are practices, bouts, meetings, cleanings, emails, committees, etc. Frankly, with all of my other activities, it was getting a little hard to keep up with everything. Now that we are at the fairgrounds, it's all us. We have to clean the floors, mop the bathrooms, set up the bleachers, you name it. Bout set up went from 4 hours at Funquest to 4 DAYS at the fairgrounds.

Roller derby is serious business. As in the skaters actually OWN the business. Sixty women own a business that requires them to regularly beat the shit out of each other for fame and glory in front of hundreds of people. The women who do this the best inevitably end up in the power positions regardless of actual business experience. It's probably the strangest business model ever.

Roller derby gets old. Satchel and Jiro went from, "Can we come with you??" every time I mentioned skating to "You are always at the roller derby! I HATE the roller derby!" Ahhh...that just makes a mom feel GREAT.

I had a good run. Joining the roller derby helped me remember who I was after four straight years of immersing myself in motherhood. It also got me off of the sofa and back in shape. (For the most part.) Best of all, it allowed me to meet some of the most awesome women ever and form some much needed friendships.

So thank you Memphis Roller Derby, and especially you, Z-Girls. I look forward to cheering you on, seeing you at free skates, and running into you at the grocery store, the park, on the street, and, of course, in bars!

I must also thank Warren and my mom for making it possible for me to attend two practices a week, sometimes more, for the past two years. I couldn't have done it without you!

In parting, I leave you with a few scenes from this year's Red Dress Party, held at Tsunami last week, at which the Z-Girls celebrated their achievements and their friendship.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

I looked back at the photos from last year's Red Dress Party and it is amazing how much changed in 9 months!! Skaters came and went, joined different teams, shacked up, got married...you name it. I can't wait to see what the future holds for the Z.

3 comments:

Sassy Molassy said...

Good for you! Imagine what you can do with all your free time now. Make sure you invite me skating sometimes. (I like your dress!)

Memphisotan said...

It was a good run. Er, roll.

Aaron said...

You have my full sympathy. Somedays I get up with these aches wondering what happened?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...