Saturday, December 06, 2008

Jiro's Night Out

Last Saturday, Jiro had his first ever playdate that did not involve him tagging along with his brother or going with his brother to a mutual friend's house. It would have happened a lot sooner, but for one reason or another neither me nor his best buddy's parents gave in to Jiro and his best buddy's incessant pleas for a playdate until last Saturday.

Jiro's best buddy is Enrique, and by proxy, his second best buddy is Santiago, Enrique's little brother. Individually, all three of these boys are super sweet. Together, they are WILD! Probably the three wildest boys in the whole school.

So imagine my surprise when Carlos, Enrique & Santi's dad, called Thursday night to ask me if Jiro wanted to go to a Grizzlies game and spend the night. "It's probably crazy," he said, "but I think it will be fun." Carlos' wife had a previous engagement, so it was just going to be him and the three boys.

"Look, if you want to sleep on it and let me know in the morning, I won't say anything to Jiro," I said, giving him an out.

"No, I think it'll be fine," he said. "I have a plan."

When I informed Jiro of this invitation, he was SO excited. I'm surprised that he slept at all Thursday night. Friday morning when I was getting his things together, I asked if he wanted me to pack his blankie. I couldn't imagine him going off alone for the first time without it, but I wanted to be sure.

"No," he said without a second thought.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

He nodded and went about his business. Sniff. I can't stand him being so grown up!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlos said he'd just pick Jiro up from school, so we took his backpack and carseat in with him Friday morning. I gave him a big hug in case I didn't see him when I picked Satchel up. (I totally planned to leave early so I didn't miss seeing him one more time before the big event!)

I arrived at school before Carlos. Enrique, Santi, and Jiro were all chomping at the bit. I bundled everyone up and made them run around the schoolyard to burn off some energy while we waited for Carlos. Once Carlos finally arrived, Jiro ran inside, put his backpack in his carseat, and then carried the seat to Carlos' car.

I almost lost it right there. Not that his carseat was all that heavy, but the sight of him carrying it, again, made him seem so grown up. "I wish I had my camera!" I lamented.

Susan, a fellow parent, said, "Use your phone."

I laughed and said, "Uh, I don't have that kind of phone."

I know, I am a luddite.

Susan kindly grabbed her camera out of her car, but by then Jiro was all buckled in. However, Carlos said his phone took great pictures and that he would keep me updated throughout the evening.

He kept to his promise, which definitely helped ease my separation anxiety. (Thank you, Carlos!):

Eating popcorn at the game...



Eating cotton candy at the game...



Kung fu poses in the elevator...



Camping out in Enrique & Santiago's room...



When I picked Jiro up this morning, everyone was all smiles and Carlos reported that Jiro was well-behaved and that they all had a great time. (He also apologized for getting Jiro to bed a little late--10:30. Ha! I'm lucky if Jiro goes to bed before midnight on the weekend.)

When I got Jiro in the car, he & Satchel compared notes on what had transpired in the other's absence. It was the cutest thing ever. (Man, I missed that kid!!)

Once home, Jiro and I decided to have some quality time at the mall. We needed to get a green turtleneck for his Theodore costume for the school play next week. (It took us about an hour and five stores, but we actually found one!)

I barely had Jiro buckled back into his carseat before he was asleep. That was four hours ago, and he's still asleep! (Don't worry, I put him in his bed.)

Being so grown up wore him out!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...