Monday, March 22, 2010

I Love Memphis

Satchel's class had a field trip to the Civil Rights Museum. It was originally scheduled for February but bad weather got in the way. Since I work downtown, I decided to meet Satchel's class at the museum. The exhibit starts off with a thirty-two minute movie called "The Witness" narrated by Reverend Kyles. In Kyles' final sermon he talks about how you can kill the dreamer, but not the dream. I think every parent was secretly wiping away tears. It was very moving, especially in light of yesterday's historic health care vote.

Once the movie was over, we basically sped through the museum. Satchel and his classmates were a bit young to really focus on the text heavy exhibits. They seemed more interested in touching the mannequins and running around. I let them go at their own pace, occasionally pointing out things I thought they might "get." We got to go into the new building across the street where the shot originated. Again, it was a very text heavy exhibit, but it was cool to see all of the evidence and theories surrounding that horrific day.


Since I walked over to meet Satchel, we had to walk back to my office, about a half mile away. We passed South of Beale on the way and I remembered that they were having the I Love Memphis party, so Satchel and I stopped in to say hi and get a snack. Normally, I wouldn't take Satchel to a gastropub, but since it was 4:30pm and there was free cake, I figured it would be ok. Since we were early, I got a chance to hang out with Kerry and Satchel got to eat a delicious hamburger and fries.

It wasn't all fun and games. Satchel and I got our picture taken with the "I Love Memphis" sign and the "We're on Board" skateboard deck for the proposed Binghampton skatepark project to show our support.




We had to leave before the party really got going since Jiro was still at school, but Kerry was nice enough to give us some cake to go. (She cut it from the back where no one would notice.)

I just love Memphis.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...