Monday, December 02, 2013

Thanksgiving Break

Thanksgiving came early for the monkeys this year due to the long awaited return of Santi & Enrique on Monday. Of course, Jiro and his besties didn't waste any time getting right back to where they left off, as is the mark of a true friendship. I think the first thing Enrique said to Jiro was, "Do you know what the fox says?"

Untitled

Carlos let Jiro spend the night, which was great, because there was no way we were separating these three. They ate ice cream and homemade cookies and no doubt stayed up late watching TV. This is how he found them Tuesday morning.

Untitled

Jiro spent the day with Team Provencio, and then I brought Satchel over in the evening for an official pizza party.

Untitled
Untitled

The boys set up a volleyball court in the foyer using three chairs and a yoga ball. It was pretty wild, but I know Carlos was pleased to have happy kid noises filling up his house.

On Wednesday it was my turn to embrace the mayhem. I took the boys bowling. I also took them to dinner, but when I asked where they wanted to eat, they said, "The bowling alley!"

This is what happens when you ask four boys to stand still so you can get a picture of them with their balls.

Untitled

Satchel was actually the last one to get in on the joke. I tried to get a serious picture, but with these four it's pretty much impossible.

Untitled

I don't know why, but I was surprised by how competitive they all were! I begged them not to look at the scoreboard, but they just couldn't stop!

Untitled

After awhile, they calmed down, but geez! They are so hard on themselves! It ended up being fun, but I had to really put on my coaching face and keep everyone's spirits high. After bowling, pizza, French fries, and blue slushies, we went back to my house for my famous "cheese chips" and video games. I convinced them to bed down at 11pm and watch "Turbo." Jiro reported that everyone fell asleep before it was over, except him.

They all were just waking up when I snuck out for my 8am run. This was the first year in awhile that Ashley and I didn't do the Turkey Trot. We opted to wear funny socks and run through the park with a couple of our favorite runner friends. It was much more mellow than driving all the way out to Shelby Farms Park. A new tradition is born!

Untitled

I took a quick shower, convinced Warren to make breakfast, and then headed back to the park with the boys for the annual Branham (Parker?) family walk. It was lovely to be included this year.

Untitled

Willy Bearden took a cute picture of me & the boys--they are both smiling so I love it. Even though my hair looks totally white!!!!

willy1

After an hour or so, and a walk through the ditch, it was time to get home and pack up for Gigi's house. Warren had his stuff ready to go, so he and the boys went on without me. I needed to clean the kitchen and also be there for the inevitable calls detailing what was forgotten.

By the time I got to Gigi's everyone was eating matzah ball soup. Satchel loved it, although he said his face feels funny when he smiles...I guess he did too much smiling at the park.

Untitled

Warren cranked out some amazing appetizers like these chargrilled oysters.

Untitled

There was also candied bacon, but it got eaten before any photos could be taken.

We kept ourselves busy with Blokus and Jell-O shots, and then it was turkey time. Warren made one and half turkeys this year.

Untitled

We got home around 8pm, and Warren still had enough energy to attend a post-Thanksgiving party at a friend's house. The boys and I opted to warm up the sofa with Satsuki.

Friday morning I took Jiro to have one last meal with Santi & Enrique at Cafe Eclectic. Then I took them all to the park for a last hurrah before the boys had to get on the airplane.

Untitled
Untitled

Even though they spent the better part of five days together, it was not enough time. The three of them were so super sad to have to say good-bye. (Jiro and Santi are still young enough to smile when you tell them to, even when they don't want to.)

Untitled

Not sure when we will get everyone together again, but it's going to have to happen somehow, someway!

The rest of the weekend was spent at various parties, sleeping, shopping, eating out, and doing minimal housework. It was fantastic.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...